Before you select a gift for your partner, you need to decide which of the 5 love languages you both belong to!
The Meaning and Difference Between Gift Giving Love Languages
When it comes to choosing gifts for your partner, there's more than just the price tag and their tastes to consider. The way they feel loved is different from how you might feel loved.
If you're not familiar with the concept of love languages, they were developed by Gary Chapman in his book The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate (1997). They explain how we each express our feelings of affection and appreciation in different ways and what those expressions mean to us.
To identify your partner's primary love language (and therefore their preferred way of being shown affection), ask yourself these questions:
- What does my partner do when they want me to know that they care about me?
- What kinds of things do they say when I'm upset or stressed out? Do these things make me feel better about myself as a person?
Here are the 5 love languages!
Quality time is a great gift for your partner because it's about giving them your undivided attention. It's about making them feel special and important, and can be done in many ways: going for a walk together, having dinner at home or just sitting down for a chat.
For couples who love to spend time together and can't get enough of talking to each other we recommend getting the Connection Cards. The Unique questions and prompts inside this box will inspire out-of-the-box conversations and enhance your connection with your partner.
Receiving gifts is the most important love language for many people. The gift should be thoughtful and personal, something that your partner would like, not necessarily what you would like to receive.
When choosing a present for someone else in your life who has this as their primary love language--whether it's an anniversary present or just a birthday gift--keep these points in mind:
- Think about what kinds of things would make them happy; don't just guess based on what looks good at first glance!
- Make sure the gift is personal and something they can cherish for life
For couples looking to gift their partners something special have a look at our personalised gifts for couples!
- You can order a beautiful custom wedding portrait that immortalises a moment from your wedding.
- A personalised couple painting that shares a memorable moment with the location, date and your names displayed on the artwork.
- Or have your children or pets artwork on a phone case!
The choices are endless with our range of personalised gifts for couples.
The amount of physical touch you have with your partner is a personal choice, but it's helpful to establish boundaries early on in the relationship. If you haven't talked about what you're comfortable with yet, now is the time.
It's also important to consider what kind of physical touch works best for both of you: some people prefer more intimate forms such as cuddling or massages while others like dry kisses on the cheek when they get home from work. Make sure that whatever form it takes, it feels good for both parties involved!
For couple that show affection by physical touch, and if your partner is comfortable, you should definitely try Love and Paint Kit for an intimate experience!
Acts of Service
To give a gift that shows you care, try an act of service. Acts of service are things you do for your partner to help them out and make their life easier. Here are some examples:
- Cleaning up after they've been working late or studying hard
- Cooking dinner when they're stressed out from work and school (or any other reason)
- Caring for the pets while they travel or work away from home
Other forms of 'Acts of Service' that you can gift your partner are:
- Book a Spa date with them. For Melbourne readers head to Mornington Peninsula Hot Sprints or Book a special package with Elba Thermal Springs & Spa
- Book a fine dine dinner in the city such as Eureka 89
- Or book a little staycation somewhere close (or Far!!)
Words of Affirmation
Words of affirmation are a great way to show your partner that you care. You can use words of affirmation in many ways, such as when your partner does something for you or when they are simply being themselves. For example:
- "I appreciate the fact that you worked so hard this week."
- "I love how kind and caring you are."
- "Thank you so much for taking me out on a date tonight!"
You can also get your partner NoteCube. Simply select 10-20 qualities and within seconds you’ll have up to 60 personalised messages written just for you!
If you're looking to give a gift to your partner, we hope this article has helped you understand the importance of choosing something that they will truly appreciate. It can be difficult to know exactly what someone wants or needs, but with these tips in mind, it should be much easier!
If you would like to order one of our personalised gifts, but are having trouble choosing which one, simple click on the chat button and we will be happy to help!